Category Archives: Community

Meet Ponto User Brandon Floyd

Brandon Floyd shares her Ponto story today in our new user video. She explains how her Ponto increased clarity and helped with interaction, especially when talking to customers at work.

“I was lucky enough to be able to try the Ponto for a week and I am in love! I am a cashier at a grocery store and it is imperative that I be able to hear what my customers are saying. With the Ponto I could answer their questions with enthusiasm.” 

Watch the full story below and #ChooseSound #ChoosePonto.

If you would like to know more about the Ponto system and speak to an audiologist, click the button below and we will connect you.

Speak to an Audiologist

Meet Ponto User Ally Tumblin

Our next user video comes from Ally Tumblin and her mother Melissa, who talk about how the Ponto Plus has made a difference in school, at home, and on the playground.

“I’d call for her on the playground, and she would be looking all over for where my voice was coming from”

Listen to the full story below:

If you would like to know more about the Ponto system and speak to an audiologist, click the button below and we will connect you.

Speak to an Audiologist

Meet Ponto User Katie Maslar

Meet Katie Maslar, a musician who never misses a beat thanks to her Oticon Medical Ponto.

“The first time I heard through a Ponto, it only took a couple of seconds to realize how amazingly clear and crisp the sound was. I’m a musician, I play the flute, so it was important to have something that can take me through rehearsals or listening to concerts.”

Speak to an Audiologist

Meet Ponto User Jack Herne

Happy Friday! Today we’d like to introduce you to Jack Herne who talks about how life has changed since he received his Oticon Medical Pontos.

“The air conditioning would just break up every single conversation. Now, thanks to my Ponto, I can actually hear people talking. There’s a lot less ‘can you repeat that again?’.

Speak to an Audiologist

“Whoa!” is Davin’s Response to His Ponto Pluses

We met Shannon Gordon when she posted a video of her son, Davin, trying his Pontos on abutments for the first time. Shannon shared Davin’s story with us, and now we’d like to share with you too.

“Davin was born bilateral microtia and atresia. He has had bilateral canaloplasty, and Medpor. Davin received his first bone anchored hearing system (BAHS) at 7 weeks old. Two years ago we upgraded to bilateral Ponto Pluses. What an amazing transformation! On February 5, 2016, he had the surgery at U of M hospital. This video is of him receiving his Pontos on the abutments for the first time, 3 months after surgery. He loves them! Thank you Oticon for an amazing product and allowing my son to have the best hearing option out there!”

The video below captured his reaction to wearing his Ponto Pluses on abutments for the first time—3 months after his surgery.

Continue reading

Meet Dr. Lawrence Lustig, Chair of the Department of Otolaryngology—Head and Neck Surgery at the Columbia University College of Physicians

This post is part of a clinic feature series, where we highlight doctors and clinics who offer the Oticon Medical Bone Anchored Hearing System, the Ponto.

Dr. Lawrence Lustig, MD,  is one of the nation’s leading experts in hearing loss

Dr. Lawrence Lustig, Otolaryngologist-in-chief at New York-Presbyterian Hospital/Columbia University Medical Center

Dr. Lustig is the chair of the Department of Otolaryngology—Head and Neck Surgery at the Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons and otolaryngologist-in-chief at New York-Presbyterian Hospital/Columbia University Medical Center. Today, Dr. Lustig’s mission at New York City at Columbia University Medical Center & New York Presbyterian Hospital is to build a practice of the very best otolaryngology clinicians and research scientists.

He treats the full spectrum of ear disorders in adults and children, as well as skull base disease. His specialties include skull base surgery, Bone Anchored Hearing Systems (BAHS), cochlear implants, the genetics of hearing loss, cochlear gene therapy, surgery for chronic otitis media, balance disorders, and hair cell physiology.

Continue reading

Ideas Worth Spreading: Best TED Talks on Sound

As you may have heard, “sound matters” is what we believe most.  It’s great to hear so many people feel the same. Today, we wanted to share some of the best  TED talks that focus on—you guessed it—sound.

TEDBelow you’ll see inspiring talks from three amazing individuals. Bernie Krause devoted almost a lifetime to recording sounds in the wild. He feels that the sounds around us can provide evidence of the health of the land and its habitat. Daniel Kish takes advantage of sound to see and is training others to do the same. And Meklit Hadero lets ordinary everyday sounds inspire her to create beautiful music.

Continue reading

Companies that Consider Hearing in their Customer Experience

Today, we’d like to put a spotlight on a few companies that put an emphasis on improving experiences for their hearing impaired customers and employees. While we believe this should be the norm, these businesses offering technology and take into account considerations that many others are not.

Uber Offers Equality in Work Opportunities

uber-icon_0The first such company is Uber, the technology startup that has disrupted the taxi industry. Uber offers customers a Smartphone App to call for car rides. At the same time, it offers work opportunities for many who otherwise may never be able to work as a cab driver. With their App, a hearing impaired driver has  the  chance to choose the communication method they’d prefer which will keep them from missing the work that Uber brings. Steve Claridge, who’s hearing impaired himself, praised Uber’s efforts in a recent post here.

Continue reading

Adam Shares His Journey with Hearing Loss and the Ponto Bone Anchored Hearing System (BAHS)

We are so lucky to be able to share Erin Wiggle’s heart-felt story about her husband, Adam. Adam serves in the Navy and has an Oticon Medical Bone Anchored Hearing System (BAHS), the Ponto.

Erin shares  Adam’s account of his ordeal of chronic ear infections and multiple surgeries throughout the years that finally led to permanent hearing loss of his right ear. In her post, she leads us through Adam’s journey to getting his Ponto. Adam adjusts his life well with his Ponto. However, he reveals that one of his adjustments is dealing with the insensitivity of strangers. Adam said, “The constant questioning from strangers has left me a little bitter.”

Continue reading

Getting the Most Out of the Winter Season with A Bone Anchored Hearing System (BAHS)

The winter and holiday season is usually full of fun, family and friends. Today, we’re sharing tips collected from our community to make sure Bone Anchored Hearing System (BAHS) users get the most joy out of winter. From dealing with the noise of large group gatherings to unique winter hats, gear and gifts for family members with hearing loss, here’s what our community had to share.

In her post, “Holiday Madness, Seven Tips to Better Communication” Arlene Romoff shares a great reminder: “Realize that large social groups, especially around a large dining room table, are one of the most difficult environments for a person with a hearing loss.” Penny Feltham took to Twitter to share a great idea about reducing those unnecessary clunks that add to the noise.

Continue reading