You asked, we listened. You asked for more information on how you can help spread the word about your experience. So, we’re offering regular tech tips. Each tech tip shares a free and unique social way to share your story and experience the stories of others. This week, we’re covering HootSuite’s Hootlet and Buffer, two apps that make sharing to social media so much easier.
Are you constantly sharing stories with friends via your social media accounts? Tired of how long it takes to log in to each one and post updates? You’re going to love these tools.
HootSuite is a social media dashboard that allows you to monitor all of your social media feeds from a single place. It’s a great way to keep on top of what’s going on, and it’s also a great way to share the stories you love – especially with Hootlet.
Hootlet is an extension (think mini app) for your web browser – a little icon that sits in the top of your browser that allows you to share any webpage you’re viewing to all of the social networks you have connected to HootSuite.
1. Sign up for HootSuite. They do an amazing job of getting you started.
2. Set up your account – You’ll be walked through how to Add Streams, Add a Tab, and then you’re all set to compose and send a message to whichever social networks you’d like.
Great, you’re all set up. But who really wants to login to HootSuite just to share a story? That’s where Hootlet comes in.
3. Add Hootlet -Once you’re set up, HootSuite will prompt you to add Hootlet. If you skip past this step, you can always go to Hootlet.com and install it anytime. Once installed, you’ll notice a little Owl appear in the top of your browser.
Now, anytime you find an interesting story online, simply click the Hootlet, (1) write your message, (2) choose which networks you want to send it to and (3) click send.
Buffer is a little different than HootSuite in that it’s not made for consuming or monitoring your social feeds. Buffer focuses entirely on helping you share great stories with your friends, from anywhere on the internet.
1. Sign up for Buffer – they do a brilliant job at guiding you through. Choose the “Individual plan” – it’s free.
2. Add your social accounts and the Buffer extension
Buffer works with Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, App.net and Google+, and has mobile apps for both iOS and Android.
You’ll also find a prompt to add the Buffer extension in your Welcome email, after signing up. It’s hands down the most useful way to get the most out of Buffer.
Missed adding the Buffer extension? You can find it here anytime.
3. Find cool stories and share them with your friends
No matter where you are on the internet, you can use Buffer to share the stories you find. Simply click the Buffer button at the top of your browser, (1) write your update, (2) choose which networks to send to and (3) click queue.
With Buffer you can automatically schedule your messages at optimal times during the day, choose exactly when you want a message to send, or “Send now” if that suits you best. Want to change your schedule? Log in to your account and click “Schedule” to make any adjustments.
There you have it. Two amazingly easy ways to share all the stories you care about, across all of your social networks.