New wearer Shannon Dakin recently shared her excitement about living life with Ponto 4 in a Facebook Group. The following is her experience with our most advanced bone anchored hearing system to date, in her own words.
Basically, due to ear infections as a child, I’ve always had hearing loss. Through surgeries (about 13), I was able to hear, but I don’t think I had perfect hearing. About 20 years ago, I had another round of infections that took away my hearing. All the surgeries failed, and they were unable to do any more due to too much scar tissue.
Since then, I’ve lived life with no hearing in my right ear and some hearing loss in my left. I was unable to use conventional hearing aids as they would plug my ear canal and cause infections. In that 20 years, I could never get the bone anchored system due to the cost, and none of the medical insurance plans I had would ever cover it, until I started working where I am now.
With my Ponto 4, I’ve gone from 20 years with limited hearing to hearing everything. It has been overwhelming and fascinating at the same time. I don’t know how I accomplished so much with my limited hearing! I don’t have anything to compare the Ponto 4 with, but the sound is great, and I’ve adapted well to using it. This has been a life-changer for me and I’m very thankful!
I noticed yesterday that cardinals are the loudest birds. It amazes me that they are so noisy! We live in a very noisy world. The ice maker is my nemesis. I never knew it made so much sound all the time and when it dumps, I jump!
My husband and I are starting beekeeping this year. I was able to hear buzzing before the device, but I have a feeling this spring and summer are going to be filled with so much buzzing sound! He says I’m like a two-year-old sometimes, always saying, “What’s that?! What’s that?!”
We appreciate Shannon allowing us to share her experience and are thrilled she is enjoying her new life filled with sounds—even if some are more enjoyable than others!
If you are considering whether to take the next step and getting a Ponto bone anchored hearing system, we can help:
- Like us/Follow us on social media for up-to-the-minutes news about our products and the experiences of Ponto wearers:
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/OticonMedicalUS
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/OticonMedical (@OticonMedical)
- LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/company/oticon-medical/mycompany/
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/oticonmedical/?hl=en
- Visit our website for more information about our products and services, including Insurance Support and Customer Service: https://www.oticonmedical.com/us
- Find a clinic that sells our products and make an appointment to discuss your hearing needs: https://www.oticonmedical.com/us/about-oticon-medical/find-clinic